Monday, April 27, 2009

Steers and the Funeral Home

Last week the kids showed their steers at the County Show and neither one made the sale. We learn more every year, and this year we learned how to lose gracefully. We've had overall success since we've started showing, but our animals just didin't get picked this year. One wouldn't eat well and the other one just had too much competition in his class.

One we sold the night after the show and the other we had to take to the processing plant for the guy that bought him. We were all four on the journey of death with the steer in the trailer behind us when the hubby made a wrong turn and needed to turn around.


The most convenient lot to turn around in with the trailer was a big funeral home parking lot!! It was totally unintentional, but my hubby and I caught eyes about the same time. That's where the story gets funny.

Well, he got to laughing and then my daughter and I started in and the little boy with tears in his eyes the whole day wanted to know what was so funny. I think he thought the funeral home was the place everyone and everything went to before their final rest. I finally decided not to keep the secret from him, and in the end, he thought it was pretty funny too and got in a little better mood.

The husband has already been on the hunt for the new animals for next year. He's got the kids pumped up about it and they're ready too. (No tears since Thursday)


They really do learn about life, responsiblity, and hard work with their projects. They both make me proud.

I don't think any of will ever forget this poignant but funny moment. Life is hard, but it goes on. I'm glad my kids know where their food comes from and understand God's plan. RIP little steer.

No comments:

Post a Comment